Access the most comprehensive pro-AV resource in the industry to explore audiovisual equipment catalogs, compare prices, locate service providers and review case studies.
Go to AV-iQ
The InfoComm Certification Committee
The InfoComm independent Certification Committee is responsible for overseeing the development and administration of credible Certified Technology Specialist certifications (CTS®, CTS-D® and CTS-I®) and for ensuring the credentials meet high standards of ethical and professional practice for the audiovisual industry. This oversight offers assurance of the proficiency and competency of AV professionals. The committee has responsibility for the entire certification program and oversight of committees that report to it. It is comprised of a chair, three CTS, three CTS-I and three CTS-D members. The committee members are elected and only certified individuals may vote. The initial Certification Committee was appointed.
The 2014 Certification Committee members are:
Chair, Chuck Espinoza, CTS-D, CTS-I
Jeremy Barndt, CTS-D
Heather Callaway, CTS-D
Alec Graham, CTS-D, CTS-I
Rich Kowalske, CTS-D, CTS-I
Mathew J. LeFeber, CTS
Christopher Neal, CTS-D, CTS-I
Paul Nolan, CTS
Gonzalo Rodriguez, CTS-D
Adam Walton, CTS
The Certification Committee has a number of other volunteer committees that have specified areas of responsibilities and are composed of subject-matter-expert volunteers who meet the qualifications for the committee on which they serve. The committees report to the Certification Committee, and the committee members accept non-disclosure and conflict of interest agreements while serving on a committee. Committees are formed as needs develop; however, the following is a list of ongoing volunteer committees:
- Ethics & Disciplinary Committee — Reports to the Certification Committee and has responsibility for investigating all reported violations of the Code of Ethics and Conduct; issues and publishes sanctions.
- Eligibility Committee — Reports to the Certification Committee and has responsibility for developing, refining and recommending eligibility for all certification exams, and for reviewing denials or unusual circumstances associated with interpreting the CTS, CTS-D and CTS-I eligibility requirements.
- Renewal Committee — Reports to the Certification Committee and has responsibility for developing, refining and recommending changes to renewal policies for all certified individuals. The committee also assists as needed in reviews and determinations of decisions regarding applications for awarding renewal units for courses as well as denials of renewal decisions for individuals submitting a renewal application.
- Appeals Committee – Reports to the Certification Committee and determines the final decision for all eligibility and renewal committee decision appeals.
- Nominating Committee – Reports to the Certification Committee and assures proper conduct of the nominating and election process.
- CTS Marketing Committee — Reports to the Certification Committee and has the responsibility of developing various marketing programs designed to increase the awareness of the CTS credentials as related to such areas as recognition, credibility and value, to both those holding the certification as well as other multiple stakeholders.
- CTS Scheme Committee –— Reports to the Certification Committee and reviews psychometric reports on CTS exam performance; decides scoring matters based upon recommendations of test company experts; works with the CTS Technical Committee of Subject Matter Experts (SME) when new items are required for the CTS exams.
- CTS Technical Committee — Reports to the CTS Scheme Committee and is responsible for creating new items for the CTS item bank.
- CTS-I Scheme Committee — Reports to the Certification Committee and reviews psychometric reports on CTS-I exam performance; decides scoring matters based upon recommendations of test company experts; and works with the CTS-I Technical Committee of Subject Matter Experts (SME) when new items are required for the CTS-I exams.
- CTS-I Technical Committee — Reports to the CTS-I Scheme Committee and is responsible for creating new items for the CTS-I item bank.
- CTS-D Scheme Committee — Reports to the Certification Committee and reviews psychometric reports on the CTS-D exam performance; decides scoring matters based upon recommendations of test company experts; and works with the CTS-D Technical Committee of Subject Matter Experts (SME) when new items are required for the CTS-D exams.
- CTS-D Technical Committee — Reports to the CTS-D Scheme Committee and is responsible for creating new items for the CTS-D item bank.
Anyone interested in volunteering for a certification-related committee should contact the InfoComm certification office.
The InfoComm certification staff office is referred to as the certification office and supports the InfoComm independent Certification Committee and its programs. The certification office serves as the primary contact for all certification issues and activities.
Starting in January of 2008, the Certification Committee started providing annual reports that include general certification program updates as well as an overall summary report of total certified and examination results. These are posted on the InfoComm website.
As of December 31, 2013, here are our certification numbers:
• Total Certified: 9,004
• CTS General: 7,404
• CTS-D (Design): 863
• CTS-I (Install): 737
• CTS-D & CTS-I Dual Certified: 165
Pass Rates (Averaged):
Certification is not a guarantee for performance by certified individuals. Certified Technology Specialist™ (CTS) holders at all levels of certification have demonstrated audiovisual knowledge and/or skills. Certified individuals adhere to the CTS Code of Ethics and Conduct and maintain their status through continued education. Certification demonstrates commitment to professional growth in the audiovisual industry and is strongly supported by InfoComm.
All eligibility, application, score reports, special accommodation requests and general inquiries regarding InfoComm certification will be handled through the InfoComm International Certification Office, with headquarters located in Fairfax, VA, U.S.A. Purchases of education, membership or any other InfoComm services are not required to seek certification.
Attn. Certification Office
11242 Waples Mill Rd., Suite 200
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: 1.800.659.7469 or +1.703.273.7200